Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Well I'm switching boats now

So we left yesterday to go on another trip and we stopped about 10 or so miles outside of dutch harbor to do a quick tow so that the boat could get coverage for that day. Things were going fine until the boat sort of tremored. I was putting my rain gear on when i looked up at the deck boss who said "Oh shit... I think we're snagged"

It was true. Apparently we had become hooked on a sunken ship from WWII. We knew this because the coordinates of the wreckage have been known by everybody... but our boat. So the crew spent the next 10 hours trying to retrieve the net. It ended up being an 80,000 mistake. They lost the net which is connected to the codend (apparently there's a difference). They got to keep the codend (80,000) the transducer (35,000) and 3 of 4 eggs (10k each).

Gordon the engineer enlisted me to video tape the entire thing with his sony handy cam. I don't know how he's going to feel about the results because half way through I realized that this was recording audio as well. So there's about 40 minutes of me making remarks about the excursion like "progress history!" and "son of a bitch that sucks". Any way we ended up heading back into town and I was released the next day because it would be a week or so before they'd start fishing again. Bummer.

No comments: