So we board the plane and i sit next to large a Samoan man who most likely has the same ultimate destination I do- a fishing boat. We weren't really sitting next to each other, as we were on separate aisles, but you get the point. We exchange nods more or less but beyond that the pleasantries sort of end. I settle in and then the plane begins to taxi towards it's appropriate runway.
The ride was incredibly bumpy which doesn't seem to bother me for some reason. I realized during the ride that planes and especially the ride on planes might be one of the few things that I can completely put my faith into. For the same reason that other people get anxious or nervous about traveling by air, I'm sort of comforted. I think that when I'm in a plane knowing that I have no control over the situation forces me to accept any outcome. And knowing you have no control, I guess, means that you have to accept it. What I'm trying to say is- Mom, you are right.
We wind up landing while I'm asleep and I wake up to the large Samoan man shaking things out of an overhead bin. Myself and the remainder of the passengers saunter off the plane and walk to the terminal, which can hardly be described as such. If I were to give an accurate description of the "airport" that we flew into I'd probably have to direct you to the back of a walmart or target. Picture the loading docks for semis, the cardboard boxes and crates, and the overall look of grime. Even though I'm painting this horrible picture, I still walked off the plane and to the terminal with a huge grin on my face. The view was gorgeous. The terminal was surrounded by mountains which were separated from me by the coldest and bluest waters of the bay. I was lucky enough that when we got off the plane a small patch of sunlight had broken through the haze of clouds just to shine on the mountain that was next to the airport. All of this in conjunction with the oddly sweet smell that comes with this area of the world, sort of made me want to cry. And during this moment, I felt the smallest notion of contempt, because I was met with two very opposite emotions as well. I understood, at this time, why people have kids and that I would like to share this with some of my own one day. But I felt equally that humanity should stop reproducing in order to save places like this. And I still wonder which notion is more selfish than the other.
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Have kids, then convince them to clean up the environment.
Problem solved!
That'll be $45.00 for the therapy session.
Impressive things coming from you too.
Thank you for your comment.
Post a Comment