Sunday, June 15, 2008

It's been a long week


So I've been meaning to post every night this week and I've even sat down a few times to do so but every time I have I've been interrupted by something or lost focus. Not that I think anyone is hanging on their seats in anxious anticipation but I'm sorry it's taken so long to write another post. The week was good and bad. I passed my midterm for the class which after I finished felt like I had just been gambling. What you may not know about this excursion is that it is entirely a gamble of sorts. I only get hired and reimbursed if I pass this course so taking that test was literally a rush. And when I say that I'm dead serious. I got done and walked out and felt like I had just shoved all in (with a good hand of course ;) We got our grades back an hour later and we had all passed and the feeling of winning came and all was well. Later on that evening we decided to all go have drinks to celebrate which turned out to be a horrible idea, not because of what actually occurred while drinking, but the fact that we had to be in class at eight the next morning seemed to have been lost on us. So we went out and we all imbibed various spirits until we'd reached a jovial maxim that some might have labeled as ridiculous. Perhaps those people would be write in describing it as such because at one point we were talked into going to karaoke, which led to us getting talked into doing a song (5 guys), which led to us being tricked by prior observers. Long story short 5 dudes ended up singing "wanna be" by the spice girls when they had every intention of singing Gilligan's Island. It was all well in good because Jeff (a guy in my apt.) took the helm and sang every word while the rest of us filled our natural roles as Yes and what man (that was me... "what? what? what? yeah ok), random shake dancer (imagine a mix between baby got back and a Garth Brooks video), and creepy white guy who is desperately trying to read the screen. The last character works for a different company and is in our training class but fits the "MO" incredibly well, mainly because we didn't invite him, he just sort of showed up, like a mysterious fog or something. Anyhow our song ended and we were applauded by the 10 people in the bar and we decided to leave shortly after.


The next morning was of course miserable. I woke up really late and had to go to class without eating but ended up sprinting across the street to the federal building cafeteria during our ten minute break. I got an omelet made which i frantically paid for and put between two slices of bread after which I inhaled like the engine of a harrier jet. The rest of the day was just an uphill battle with fatigue and the various blood vessels that were constricting and pulsing as punishment for my transgressions the night prior. And as if the fates felt that my sea of hangover was not enough they decided to throw me into lab for the afternoon where I would be annoyed by Fu-Manchu the rest of the day.


Fu-Manchu has been making rounds on every one in class this past week. No one is safe from his inability to interact with other human beings in a polite and orderly manner. Here's a classic example:


Two people are working on a single fish, attempting to identify it. They are taking their time, carefully observing the features, comparing them to pictures, and reading through the dichotomous key (a form that allows you to identify organisms). Fu-Manchu is blazing through specimens with gale force. He is a tornado and specimens and people are but mere trailer parks on his path to completion. He immediately jockeys himself between the two young scientists, places his hands on the specimen and walks to the other side of the table without even breathing a word. Oh Fu-Manchu, Where are you? We've got some work to do now.


There's that example, but then there are countless times where you will be discussing a matter with one of the instructors, and from across the room, as if blind to the fact that the instructor may be preoccupied, will yell for him, repeatedly, until answered.


Who is fu-manchu you ask? Well here is a picture of a most recent sighting.


4 comments:

Seth Golden said...

I have an RSS feed to this site, so maybe I was on the edge of my seat.

Unknown said...

ole fu manchu might get killed at sea. you should try psychological games on him to try and make him quit the program. i would.

Patrick Morales said...

you have no idea. He has difficulty touching fish with his bare hands. How does he expect to do anything on a boat?

Andrea said...

"...he just sort of showed up, like a mysterious fog or something"

As for Fu... we can't even see his facial hair. You need to pretend to be his friend so you can get a picture with him.