In the Airport
I've never seen the movie that shares the title of my blog but I have seen previews for it and I relate to it right now. I have just arrived in Anchorage, AK and in the flurry of chaos that was my last few days in Georgia I completely forgot to contact the people up here to ask them what I need to do in terms of lodging when I got here. As a result I am just going to stay up until a reasonable time to call. I would have liked to have planned better for this part of my trip but I was too busy moving out of my apt. As mentioned earlier there was a flurry of chaos.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with why I am even here I'll take some time to explain. After acquiring a biology degree I was informed that as punishment for my accomplishments I would be forced to make a regular payment to group of creditors in charge of my student loans. For sake of clarity and mainly so my parents don't get pissed I mean that I have to pay for my student loans (harsh cruel fact). Anyhow, I ran across a job listing for marine observers. A marine observer is a person who goes out on a commercial fishing vessel and documents various information on the catch and practices of those vessels. I'm sort of the eyes and ears of the National Marine and Fish Service. The job is supposedly very stressful and strenuous. The fisherman aren't exactly inviting of the people that are going to turn them in for stuff. But as a result it pays pretty well and more importantly looks really good on a resume and will allow me to take other season jobs eventually in fields that I'm more interested in.
How long I will be gone
I will undergo a month of training and then enlist in a 90 day contract. During that 90 day contract I will go out to sea for different lengths of time. While at sea I will be unable to be reached except by means of telepathy and advanced smoke signaling. On occasion messages have been able to be sent via Bat Signal but with the upcoming release of the Dark Knight this method will probably be difficult to use.
I'll keep posting but I think I'm going to pass out on this bench for a bit.
Sunday, June 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I feel like I should get you one of these... you know, since you have no furniture and all.
http://www.cafepress.com/askdreldritch.168333264
Post a Comment